Friday, March 2, 2007

The Fall of Rap

There was a time when I used to like Rap and Hip Hop, back when it first became popular; the lyrics were tongue in cheek and funny. I used to enjoy artists like Sir Mix a Lot, Cypress Hill, and even NWA. Later on, the rap ceased being lighthearted for the most part and became – simply vile. Even then, I would sometimes discover an artist whose brilliance transcended the vile of his lyrics and the vile was as much a commentary on contemporary society as it was to appeal to the lowest common denominator (this is the case with Eminem for example). but lately, even that has been difficult to find. The only rap artist has come out with an album I have enjoyed in the last five years has been Oxmo Puccino whose album Le Cactus de Sibérie is simply brilliant.

So it was no surprise to me that, according to WABC For the first time in 12 years, the top ten best-selling albums of the year did not include a rap album."

No comments: